A while back I wrote about finally getting around to photoshopping a few 35mm frames together – years after they were taken and that this corresponded with a work colleague 3d printing a pair of adaptors so I could put 35mm in my Fuji GSW 690III. You can read that post here.
Finally I got around to trying it. The first problem that I discovered was that not all 35mm cassettes are the same. My adaptor was designed to hold a Kodak Gold cassette, which it turns out is subtly different to an Ilford one for example. My next problem was that despite the fact the adaptor was exactly the same length as a 120 spool, It wouldn’t fit in! I deduced the issue was it remained a couple of mm thicker for longer at the ends and therefore I couldn’t quite get the angle to load it. Both problems were solved with a saw and sand paper.
As this was very much a test, I popped in a very out of roll of Fuji Superia 400, rated it at 200, then realised that not only does the camera, use a reasonable length to attach the film, when this is complete and the door closed, it used much more to wind on and cock the shutter ready for the first frame. Normally of course this is not an issue as the backing paper of 120 film allows for this. My 24 exposure 35mm film though would have been half way through by this point! I had to cobble together a make shift “leader” to reduce this. Another problem solved. My first shot was the one above.
I exposed a few frames, the film came to an end, and then of course I had to remove in the dark – a 120 camera does not have a rewind! As I removed the film, another thought crossed my mind, which was the 6x9cm “hole” where the 120 film would normally sit in use, has surface contact all around the edges to help keep it flat, while the 35mm film could easily curl whilst “bridging the gap”. I can’t see any loss of focus – so obviously that wasn’t a huge issue. I enjoyed playing, and happy to get results. I don’t think I’m likely to repeat too often, but it’s always useful to increase ones knowledge, experience, and to increase the tool bag in case a requirement for something like that arises in the future.